Plagiarism-checking in HAMK
Plagiarism is checked at HAMK through the Turnitin Originality system. Until 31.12.2023, Ouriginal is also in use.
Turnitin conducts similarity checks only. The report of the Turnitin review does not tell you whether the work contains plagiarism or if similarities are allowed. The Turnitin check is a tool that facilitates evaluation and writing guidance by showing the similarities found between the reviewed text and the reference materials.
Guidelines for interpreting a Turnitin report
- Instructions for interpreting the Turnitin inspection report (in Finnish), Aalto University
- Guidance on how to interpret the report, Turnitin
How do I submit documents for review?
Files are submitted for plagiarism checking via Wihi or Moodle|learn.hamk.fi.
Thesis: always submit in Wihi
Students must always submit their theses for plagiarism-checking via the Wihi system.
What do I do if the student has to re-submit to Wihi for re-inspection?
As a teacher, you reject the previous submission, which opens a new submission form for the student. Rejection does not leave separate entries in the student’s information.
Study-related submissions in Moodle | Learn
Plagiarism-checking can be set for assignments, forums, workshops and quiz activities – all activities to which something is submitted or written as an answer In the activity settings, the teacher specifies that the files submitted by the student go for review. By default, submitted files are not subject to plagiarism-checking.
Plagiarism-checking settings in Moodle
- In activity settings, Turnitin Integrity plugin settings
- Enable Turnitin
- Exclude from similarity reports: bibliography and/or citations
- Indexing all submissions
- Generate Similarity Reports: immediately, on the due date, or both.
- Student access: Allow students to view Similarity Reports (yes/no)
- Process draft submissions: yes/no
- On the assignment assessment page, the teacher can see the results of the examination as a percentage.
- A link to the inspection report accompanies the result.
- The assignment settings define whether students are allowed to wiew the inspection result of their own submission.
There are no personal usernames in Turnitin because all checks are done through other systems.
How can a teacher remove a document?
Turnitin recognises duplicates of the same work submitted by a student and does not recognise identical portions as plagiarism. In other cases, you should submit a deletion request as a ServiceDesk ticket.