Uninvited guests in Zoom meetings? Guidelines for unexpected situations
- Use consideration of how and to whom you will share the direct link to the online meeting if the event is also intended for participants outside HAMK.
- Do not share a direct participation link to a meeting on social media. If a link is shared on a public platform, it will be easily available to everyone, including those who do not have good intentions.
- The instructions below apply to Zoom, but when using other similar services, these should always be considered if you intend to have a direct online participation link in public.
- Instead of sharing a direct participation link to a meeting, it’s a good idea to share the link, for example, to the web page of the event to which the Zoom meeting is related. Linking to this event page also provides the reader with more information about what kind of event it is.
- In addition, you may want to consider registering through another service or registering with Zoom. Zoom’s instructions for registration.
Choices made before starting the Zoom meeting
- Is your event interactive? If participants are not intended to take the floor or open webcams, host the event as a one-way Zoom webinar. Instructions: Zoom webinars.
- If you have already set up a Zoom meeting and shared its link with the participants, you can also change the meeting type to a webinar afterwards. Please open the ServiceDesk ticket, and the licensing will be taken care of.
- Tip: Check the session settings and make sure, for example, that the waiting room is already in use in the meeting, instructions: Zoom meeting settings for security and smooth operations.
- Take advantage of registration through Zoom or another service.
Functions utilized during a Zoom meeting
- In Zoom meetings, the meeting’s host and possible co-hosts have access to the Security button, which can be used to control the activities of all session participants, instructions: All participant activities are controlled from the Security button.
- The host can easily turn off, e.g. the right of participants to use a microphone or to share a screen.
- Suspend Participant Activities stops all activity in the meeting and locks the session. With this feature, you can take time off and find out what to do next in time.
- You can move an individual participant from the attendee list to the waiting room using the Put in waiting room function or remove a participant from the session using the Remove function.
- By default, HAMK’s Zoom accounts have a setting that prevents a user removed with the remove function from returning to the same Zoom meeting in progress.